MaleSurvivor Announces its 13th International Conference
"A World of Healing"
November 15-18, 2012
John Jay College of Criminal Justice
New York, NY
This year's conference will be held November 15th through the 18th in the newly renovated midtown campus of our co-presenter John Jay College of Criminal Justice in New York City. In 2010 our conference, the only one of its kind in the world, brought together more than 400 survivors, psychologists, social workers, academic researchers, members of the law enforcement community, and friends of the cause to share information regarding their efforts to help survivors, research, and insights. We anticipate this to be our largest and most successful yet!
Highlights of this year's conference will include:
- Presentations from speakers from around the globe including representation from Australia, Canada, Cambodia, Europe, Nepal and New Zealand.
- Over 50 workshops touching on the latest in research and treatment of male survivors of sexual abuse and their loved ones.
- An opening day roundtable discussion about "Abuse in Sports" featuring professional athletes and advocates working to change the culture of sports in our country.
- Pre-Conference Institutes are scheduled to take place on November 15, and will be conducted by some of the leading experts in the field of Male Sexual Victimization
- Keynote speakers include: Joe Ehrmann (former NFL defensive player, founder, Coach for America), Mike Lew,, MEd, (Author of Victims No Longer and Leaping Upon the Mountains) as moderator for a featured International Panel presentation, Alastair Hilton (Social Work Consultant for First Step Cambodia), Ken Clearwater (National Manager of MaleSurvivors of Sexual Abuse Trust in New Zealand), and Victor Vieth, JD ( Executive Director of The National Child Protection Training Center).
"A World of Healing"
"A World of Healing", the theme of this year's conference, is a statement reflecting Malesurvivor's dedication to the idea that hope and healing are possible for survivors all over the world. Only by increasing our efforts to spread that message and support survivors everywhere will we stand a chance at reducing the threat posed by sexual abuse to civilized societies. In every country and culture we have data on, we know that at least 1 in 6 males are sexually victimized at some point in time over their lives. But there is reason for hope because - our international reach has increased like never before!
- In the past year our website has been viewed by hundreds of thousands of visitors from over 200 countries.
- We are working every day to build both national and international partnerships.
- This year we will be joined by a number of international speakers who will share with us information about their work.
- We have made aconcerted effort tobroaden our outreach to spread MaleSurvivor's message of healing and hope to professionals and to survivors all over the world.
We look forward to welcoming partners in the work of fighting abuse and promoting healing from all over the world to New York this fall.
Abuse in Sports
Also, in response to the immense attention to this topic driven by news events such as the Sandusky scandal, MaleSurvivor is excited to announce that Friday November 16th we will open our conference with presentations focusing on abuse in sports, and how to improve our response to it. Joe Ehrmann, a former NFL defensive player, survivor, and founder of Coach for America, will deliver our opening keynote address. In addition, MaleSurvivor Executive Director Christopher M. Anderson will moderate a panel discussion with featuring athletes, coaches, and advocates working to change the culture of sports in our country.
Once again, MaleSurvivor is excited to hold it's annual conference at John Jay College in the heart of New York City. Located minutes away from Central Park, John Jay is easily accessed by pubic transportation and allows attendees the freedom to make arrangements almost anywhere within the city. MaleSurvivor has made arrangements with a few local hotels for discounted rates during the conference. Information can be found here. We hope to continue to add more partners to that list as we get closer to the conference.
Also, more information on hotel options, as well as dining, entertainment, and tourism information can be found at: http://www.nycgo.com/
Don't Wait! Register Today!
Register now and receive an early registration discount until September 15, 2012. MaleSurvivor members are also entitled to discounts on conference registration. (Please note that all registrations for this conference will be conducted electronically. However, we have prepared a Conference Companion Guide in PDF format, which you can download via the following link. The Guide will provide you with event descriptions, presenters bios, as well as date and time information. More detailed information, including workshop descriptions, learning objectives, and presenter bio information can also be found on the electronic registration form, simply by clicking on the "details" button for each event.)
Advertisment and Exhibition Space Available!
Advertisements in the Conference Journal and Exhibition Space at the Conference itself are available. For more information please contact Trisha Massa at firstname.lastname@example.org. or visit our website and click on the Conference Tab / Exhibitor and Advertising Forms.
Help us build "A World of Healing"!
It's also not too late to join our great team of affiliate sponsors! Affiliate sponsors enjoy discounted registration fees, and mention in conference materials For more information please contact Trisha Massa at email@example.com. or click here.